Brushless and LiPo technology have sure changed this hobby. When I got into this hobby, you were crossing your fingers for four minutes of runtime and world championships were won with cars that barely broke 20 mph. That was the best equipment available. These days you can stroll into a hobby store and get a 1/5-scale off-road monster that is capable of doing highway speeds over off-road terrain. It’s a good time to be in the RC hobby. Clearly built to take on the Traxxas X-Maxx, Arrma’s new 1/5-scale Kraton takes full advantage of brushless and LiPo power.
A Spektrum DX2E Active transmitter matched with a SR6100AT AVC (Active Vehicle Control) receiver enable the telemetry technology found in the Spektrum Smart Firma brushless motor and speed control. Users can download the free Spektrum Dashboard App to a mobile device to view motor RPM, speed control temperature, receiver voltage, drive pack voltage and more in real-time. Extra stability can be dialed-in via the radio’s AVC system.
According to Arrma, the big 1/5-scale Kraton 8S BLX 4WD is capable of over 55 mph MPH speeds when equipped with two 4S LiPo batteries and optional pinion gear that’s available separately.
- Laser-etched aluminum anodized chassis plate
- Composite chassis side pods
- Triangular structured center brace system for maximum durability
- Fluid-filled adjustable shocks with 20 mm bore
- Thick composite plastic front and rear shock towers
- Easy-access 3-bolt sliding motor mount for quick motor removal
- Aluminum motor mount and hubs
- Heavy-duty drivetrain
- Durable steel driveshafts throughout
- Easy-access front and rear diff module design
- All-metal diff outdrives and gearbox internals
- Easy-access waterproof electronics module
- Heavy-duty dual spring servo saver
- Multi-split spoke wheels
- Durable wheel hubs for increased strength
- Multi-terrain dBoots COPPERHEAD 2 SB tires
- High downforce wing
- Integrated internal body protection tower
- Spektrum DX2E Active 2.4 GHz Radio with SR6100AT AVC Receiver
- Spektrum Firma 160A Smart speed control
- Spektrum Firma 1250 Kv brushless motor
- Spektrum S905 Metal-Gear digital servo
Metal shafts, turnbuckles and outdrives, plus all-metal internal gears, give the drivetrain and suspension system the strength need for 8S power. The anodized aluminum chassis plate features composite side pods and a triangular center brace for maximum durability. Thick composite plastic front and rear shock towers hold massive 20 mm bore, fluid-filled adjustable shocks.
For power, a 1250 Kv Spektrum Firma brushless motor is mounted with three bolts onto a sliding aluminum mount for quick access. The waterproof electronics module, designed for easy access, houses and protects more Spektrum gear. The motor receives power through a Firma Smart 160A speed control.
Available in two color schemes, the Kraton truck body, like other “monster trucks,” looks more like a truggy than a car crusher and includes a high-downforce wing. A center protection tower on the chassis interfaces with the roll cage for increased body durability. The big basher rides on multi-split spoke wheels with aluminum wheel hubs, and dBoots COPPERHEAD 2 SB tires.
How Big Is It?
The Arrma Kraton 1/5 8S measures in at 29.92 in. long with a wheelbase of 19.33 in. Width is 23.7 in. All of this means it is definitely shares similar dimensions to the Traxxas X-Maxx, but has far more of a low-slung truggy look compared to the X-Maxx’s somewhat more monster truck stance.
Learn more here.