Do You Need a Special License to Drive a Tow Truck in Arizona?

Driving a tow truck in Arizona is a great way to make some extra money. But, before you can put your tow truck on the road, you need to make sure that you have the right license. The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) requires all drivers of tow trucks in the state to possess a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).

A CDL is required for any vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds. This includes most tow trucks, as they are generally heavier than other vehicles on the road. To obtain a CDL, you must be at least 18 years old and pass written tests that cover general knowledge, air brakes and combination vehicles.

In addition to obtaining a CDL, drivers of tow trucks in Arizona must also obtain special endorsements from ADOT. These endorsements will allow them to legally operate certain types of vehicles.

For instance, drivers who wish to operate tankers must obtain the HazMat endorsement. Drivers who wish to pull double trailers must obtain the “D” endorsement. And those who wish to haul hazardous materials must obtain both the HazMat and “X” endorsements.

Finally, it’s important to note that tow truck drivers in Arizona are subject to stricter laws than regular drivers. This means they must adhere to stricter speed limits, obey all traffic laws and regulations and carry proper insurance coverage while on duty.


Yes, you do need a special license to drive a tow truck in Arizona. You must first obtain a commercial driver’s license from ADOT and then obtain any special endorsements required for your type of vehicle before you can legally drive a tow truck in this state.

Photo of author

Karen Watkins