What Is the Back of a Pickup Truck Called?

The back of a pickup truck is known by many different names. Depending on who you are talking to, it can be referred to as the bed, cargo area, truck bed, or tailgate.

Each of these terms has a specific meaning and can refer to different parts of the vehicle.

The bed is the flat surface at the back of a pickup truck that is used for carrying large items such as furniture or cargo. It usually has built-in tie-downs and other features that make it easier to secure whatever needs to be transported. This area can also be used for camping and other outdoor activities.

The cargo area refers to the open space in the back of the pickup where items are stored. This can include anything from tools and equipment to groceries and luggage. It’s important to keep this area organized in order to maximize its storage capabilities.

Truck bed is another term used interchangeably with bed when referring to the flat surface on the back of a pickup truck. However, this term more specifically refers to this area as being used for hauling goods.

Tailgate, or tailgating, is an American tradition that involves gathering around the back of a pickup truck with friends and family before a sporting event or other outing. This term also refers to the metal door at the rear end of most pickups that swings down so items can be loaded into (or out of) the vehicle.


In conclusion, what is generally referred to as “the back of a pickup truck” can have several different names depending on who you are speaking with and how it is being used; it could be referred to as either a bed, cargo area, truck bed, or tailgate. No matter what it’s called though, it’s an essential part of any pickup truck’s design.

Photo of author

Susan Delgado